Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dried Cranberries and Pecans
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Dried Cranberries and Pecans
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4
Featuring green brussels sprouts and dark red cranberries, this colorful dish makes a perfect side for a Christmas dinner. Baking the brussels sprouts on a preheated baking sheet ensures they turn out nicely caramelized, which brings out their natural sweetness.
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g) brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) water
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar or Champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place in the oven while it is preheating.
- In a large bowl, toss together the brussels sprouts, shallots and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven and add the brussels sprouts in a single layer. Transfer the sprouts to the oven and roast until tender and crispy, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once about halfway through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cranberries and water and bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly syrupy and the cranberries are rehydrated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the brussels sprouts and cranberry mixture and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter, season with a few grindings of pepper and sprinkle the pecans on top. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
- Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen