- Butternut Squash Gratin
- Classic Sage and Rosemary Stuffing
- Gluten-Free Stuffing with Apple, Sausage and Kale
- Green Bean Bundles with Bacon and Brown Sugar
- Haricots Verts with Hazelnuts and Dill
- Herb and Apple Bread Pudding
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- No-Wilt Brussels Sprout Salad
- Un-Canned Cranberry Sauce
- Sautéed Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Mashed Butternut Squash
- Potato-Fennel Gratin
- Ina's Cornbread Stuffing
- Sweet Potato Soufflé with Spiced Pecan Topping
- Spinach, Pear and Pomegranate Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Dried Cranberries and Pecans
- Lemony Winter Greens with Parmesan
- Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Caramelized Shallots
- Honey-Dijon Carrots with Hazelnuts
- Rosemary-Lemon No-Knead Bread
- Perfect Popovers
- Classic Brioche
- Roasted Parsnips and Radishes
- Focaccia with Cherries, Honey and Thyme
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 85 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
America’s beloved Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten—a New York Times best-selling author and award-winning Food Network television host—shared this recipe for a rich, cheesy gratin that is a perfect accompaniment to roast turkey.
- 2 fennel bulbs, stalks removed
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 Tbs. good olive oil
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 lb. (1 kg) russet potatoes, peeled (4 large potatoes)
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) plus 2 Tbs. heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups (10 oz./310 g) grated Gruyère cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter a 10-by-15-by-2-inch/10-cup (25-by-38-by-5-cm) baking dish.
- Cut the fennel bulbs in half lengthwise and slice them crosswise, making approximately 4 cups of sliced fennel. Put the olive oil and butter in a medium (10-inch/25-cm) sauté pan and sauté the fennel and onions together over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until tender.
- Thinly slice the potatoes by hand or with a mandoline. Place them in a large bowl with the 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) of cream, 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) of the Gruyère, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Add the fennel and onion mixture and mix well.
- Pour the potato mixture into the prepared baking dish. Press down lightly to smooth the top. Combine the remaining 2 Tbs. of cream and 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) Gruyère and sprinkle evenly on the top. Bake for between 1 and 1 1/4 hours, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve hot. Serves 6 to 8.
- Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, by Ina Garten. Clarkson Potter/Publishers, All Rights Reserved.