- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 8
Add a little kick to your ketchup with a few spices and some chili peppers. For a smoother sauce, puree the mixture in a blender or food processor.
- 4 canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chili
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Seed and chop all the chilies.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chopped chilies, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the ketchup, sugar, cumin and chili powder. Simmer until deep red in colour, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Use immediately or cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 1 month. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- Adapted from Williams-Sonoma On the Grill, by Willie Cooper (Oxmoor House, 2009).