Rolled Stuffed Turkey Breast
Rolled Stuffed Turkey Breast
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 70 minutes
- Servings: 10
An easy yet elegant centerpiece for a celebratory meal, this recipe uses our focaccia stuffing mix and turkey gravy base to streamline prep, though you can substitute your own favorite stuffing and gravy if you prefer. During roasting, the stuffing will absorb the flavorful juices from the turkey. Ask your butcher to butterfly the turkey breast halves for you, so they can be opened out like a book.
- 4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) (2 oz./60 g) unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- 2 Tbs. minced mixed fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1/3 cup (1/2 oz./15 g) minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 package focaccia stuffing
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups (24 to 28 fl. oz./750 to 875 ml) chicken stock, warmed, plus more if needed
- 2 boneless turkey breast halves, each about 4 lb. (2 kg), butterflied by your butcher and pounded to 1/2-inch (12-mm) thickness
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 jar turkey gravy base, prepared according to package instructions, for serving
- Preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion, celery and fennel and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the mixed fresh herbs, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the focaccia stuffing and 3 cups (24 fl. oz./750 ml) of the stock and stir to combine; add more stock if needed to form a moist stuffing. Set aside.
- Place 1 butterflied turkey breast on a work surface, with a long side nearest you, and season with salt and pepper. Mound 3 cups of the stuffing in the center, leaving a 1-inch (2.5-cm) border on each long side. Fold the long side nearest you over the stuffing to enclose, gently pressing on the filling, then roll to form a cylinder; do not roll it too tightly or the filling will slip out of the ends. Using kitchen twine, tie the rolled turkey breast crosswise at 1-inch (2.5-cm) intervals. Rub the outside of the turkey breast with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the other turkey breast half. (You will have some stuffing left over.)
- Place the remaining stuffing in the bottom of a roasting pan. Set the turkey breast halves, skin side up, on top. Roast for 25 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Continue roasting until the skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breasts registers 165°F (74°C), about 40 minutes more.
- Transfer the turkey breasts to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the twine and cut the turkey into 1/2-inch (12-mm) slices. Serve immediately with the turkey gravy alongside.
- Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen