Pork Belly Ramen
Pork Belly Ramen
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- Servings: 4 to 6
This rich, satisfying soup develops its intense flavour from oven-braising the pork belly in a complex liquid that becomes part of the broth. Select a slab of pork from the center of the belly, which has even layers of fat and meat.
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) hot water
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 lb. (250 g) skin-on center-cut pork belly
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and left whole
- 1-inch (2.5-cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. mirin
- Kosher salt
- 5 cups (40 fl. oz./1.25 l) chicken broth
- 8 oz. (250 g) dried ramen noodles
- 4 to 6 eggs, hard-boiled for 5 to 6 minutes, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 6 green onions, green portions only, thinly sliced
- Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl, soak the dried mushrooms in the hot water for 20 minutes. Strain through a double layer of cheesecloth, reserving the liquid. Rinse the mushrooms in cold water and set aside.
- In a Dutchoven over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the pork belly, skin side down, and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Place the pot over medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the pork belly, skin side up, to the pot and add the mushrooms, soaking liquid, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, mirin and a large pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, transfer to the oven and cook until the pork belly is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Transfer the pork belly to a cutting board. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl. Thinly slice the pork and set aside.
- Transfer the braising liquid to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the broth and blend again. Return the broth mixture to the pot and adjust the seasoning with salt. Keep warm over low heat.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the ramen noodles according to the package instructions. Drain.
- To serve, divide the noodles among individual bowls and ladle the broth on top. Divide the slices of pork belly, mushrooms, egg halves and green onions evenly among the bowls and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
- Adapted from Williams Sonoma The Dutch Oven Cookbook (Weldon Owen, 2016)
Sorry, we couldn't find any products.