Easy Pecan Pie
Easy Pecan Pie
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 1hr 40 min
- Servings: 8 to 10
Created by Riz, his blog Chocolates & Chai is for lovers of comfort food, dessert, and brunch. Inspired by international cuisine, the blog is all about finding the love and the story behind every meal. He started Chocolates & Chai in 2015 as a way of sharing recipes with his friends and family around the world.
Courtesy of Chocolates & Chai (https://www.chocolatesandchai.com)
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled with a knife
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled, sliced into small pieces
- 3 tbsp vegetable shortening, chilled, in 3 pieces
- 4 tbsp water, chilled
For the pecan filling:
- 1/2 jar Pecan Pie-in-a-Jar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- For the pie crust, ombine the flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor (fitted with the metal blade). Combine using the pulse setting a few times. Add butter and shortening, pulse until coarse crumbs form (totally normal to see pieces of butter and shortening in the mix!). Add the water and pulse a few times to add moisture to the dough. At this point, the dough should still be quite crumbly. Remove from the bowl, and place on a floured work surface.
- Work the dough into a ball, and press down to create a disc shape. Wrap it in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, work the dough into a smooth disc. Be careful not to overwork it, you don’t need perfection – just a smooth surface that’s easy to roll out. (No prizes for guessing the next step.)
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a 12-13-inch circle. Without pushing in a crease, fold the dough in quarters, and transfer to your pie pan, being careful not to stretch it. Unfold the dough so that it’s centred in the pie pan. Trim the edges of excess dough (anything more than 1/2 inch hanging over the edge of the pie pan), and then press the edges of your dough gently into the rim of the pie pan. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Cover the dough with a bit of parchment paper, and fill it up with baking beans. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, until the crust is partially cooked and pale in colour. Discard the parchment paper, and the baking beans, and set aside until the filling is prepared.
- For the pecan filling, remove jar lid, and microwave Pecan Pie-in-a-Jar filling for 1 minute. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and butter; stir until well mixed.
- EASY PECAN PIE, ASSEMBLE!
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (149°C).
- Pour the prepared filling into the partially cooked pie shell. Bake for approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until done. Remove from oven, and allow to cool overnight (or at least 4 hours). When your pecan pie is fresh out of the oven, it’ll look puffy and inflated. It’s normal for pie to shrink a little as it cools.
- Dig in! (Ideally with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or unsweetened whipped cream on the side.)
- Note: It’s perfect to make one day ahead of serving.