Earl Grey & Pumpkin Meringue Pie
Earl Grey &
Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 10
Created by Betty Binon, Stems & Forks was established in 2017 to showcase all her creative musings: recipes, photography and botanical sculptures.
Courtesy of Stems & Forks (https://www.stemsandforks.com)
For the Crust:
- 1.5 cups or 195 g all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3-5 tablespoons iced water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons loose Earl Grey tea
- 2 eggs (use some for egg wash)
- 1 cup or 200 g packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup or 200 g white granulated sugar
- In small sauce pan, simmer the cream, milk and loose earl grey tea for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from stovetop, cover with lid and allow to steep for 2 hours.
- For the crust, cut the butter and shortening into half inch cubes and pop in freezer for a few minutes. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and sugar. Cut the cold shortening and butter into the flour mixture with your Williams Sonoma Olivewood Pastry Blender. Rock back and forth until the texture resembles coarse meal. Mix in the water a tablespoon at a time into flour mixture with fork until just mixed and shaggy. Do not over-mix. Do not knead dough, rather, gather dough and fold over onto itself in a large sheet of parchment paper about 6 times until it just comes together. Flatten the ball into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (191°C) with rack in middle.
- Remove dough from fridge and allow the pie dough to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature before rolling out on lightly floured surface. Using Williams Sonoma Tapered Olivewood Rolling Pin, roll dough into a circle about 12 inches. Rotate moving the dough frequently to avoid it from sticking to the surface. Transfer dough to Williams Sonoma Goldtouch Nonstick Pie Dish. Make sure dough is tucked right into the bottom of the pan with your fingers. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Trim crust, fold under the excess (about 1 cm) and crimp your pie dough crust. Pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork. Brush the crust edges with Williams Sonoma Olivewood Pastry Brush with egg wash (save the remaining egg for the filling). Line the inside with a sheet of crumpled parchment paper and fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice.
- Pre-bake for 10 minutes. Keep oven on at 375°F (191°C).
- For the Filling, whisk together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, cornstarch, 2 eggs and the Earl Grey infused cream/milk. Pour into the pre-baked pie crust. Bake for 50-55 minutes checking for doneness at 45 minutes. Cover pie crust edges with foil if browning too quickly. Centre of pie should jiggle and wobble like jello. Allow to cool for about 3 hours.
- For the Meringue, in a clean heat proof bowl, constantly whisk the egg whites and sugar over a double boiler until the temperature reaches 140°F (60°C) and the sugar has melted. Transfer to your stand mixer and whisk until egg whites become firm peaks. Spread meringue high on your cooled pumpkin pie. Lightly toast the meringue with kitchen torch or place under broiler for about 1-2 minutes.