Classic Key Lime Pie
Classic Key Lime Pie
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 8
In lieu of graham crackers for the crust, this Key lime pie recipe swaps in gingersnaps. The sweet and spicy cookies provide a nice contrast to the tangy lime. The pie needs to be refrigerated after baking to allow the filling to set, so plan accordingly.
For the crust:
- 10 oz. (315 g) gingersnaps
- 5 Tbs. (2 1/2 oz./75 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the filling:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 fl. oz./430 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp. grated Key lime zest
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) Key lime juice
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz./500 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz./50 g) superfine sugar
- Preheat an oven to 350°F (180°C).
- To make the crust, in a food processor, process the gingersnaps until fine crumbs form. Add the butter, granulated sugar and salt and pulse until moistened. Press the mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch (23-cm) pie dish. Place on a baking sheet and bake until the edges are dry and set, 5 to 7 minutes. The bottom will still be moist and soft but will firm up as the crust cools. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Keep the oven set at 350°F (180°C).
- Using an electric mixer, in a bowl, beat the egg yolks on medium speed until blended. Add the condensed milk, lime zest and lime juice and continue beating until well blended. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and bake until the edges of the pie are set but the center still jiggles slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the pie to a wire rack and let cool completely. Refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hours or up to overnight to allow it to set.
- When ready to serve the pie, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the cream and vanilla. With the mixer set on low speed, slowly add the superfine sugar while beating, gradually increasing the speed as the mixture thickens. Continue to beat until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes total.
- To serve the pie, cut into 8 slices and garnish each slice with a heaping spoonful of the whipped cream. Serves 8.
- Adapted from Feast Charleston, Charleston, SC
Sorry, we couldn't find any products.