Soft Pretzel Rolls
Soft Pretzel Rolls
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 6
Inspired by that favourite snack food, the pretzel, we created a recipe that combines the best of two worlds — a soft, buttery roll with a pretzel-y twist. A sprinkling of coarse salt lends a satisfying crunch. Serve these rolls with soups or salads along with mustard for dipping.
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) warm water (110°F/43°C)
- 1 package (2 1/4 tsp.) active dry yeast
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) (3 oz./90 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 1/4 cups (16 1/2 oz./515 g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- Canola oil for brushing
- 1/3 cup (2 1/2 oz./75 g) baking soda
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
- Mustard for serving
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir together the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add 3 Tbs. of the melted butter, the flour and kosher salt. Attach the dough hook and knead the dough on medium-low speed until smooth, about 10 minutes. Form the dough into a ball, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or parchment paper and brush with oil. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, then cut it into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 8 inches (20 cm) long. With each rope positioned horizontally, bring the 2 ends up and toward the center as if forming an oval, cross one end over the other and tie into a loose knot, tucking the ends underneath to create a roll. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Fill a large, wide saucepan with 7 cups (56 fl. oz./1.75 l) water, stir in the baking soda and bring to a boil over high heat. Gently drop 2 or 3 pretzel rolls at a time into the boiling water (be careful not to overcrowd them). Boil for just under 1 minute, turning once with a large slotted spoon or spatula. Return the boiled pretzel rolls, top side up, to the baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart.
- Sprinkle the pretzel rolls with coarse salt. Bake until beautifully browned, about 15 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through. Remove from the oven, brush the rolls with the remaining 3 Tbs. melted butter and continue baking until deep golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes more.
- Serve the rolls warm with big spoonfuls of mustard. Makes 6 pretzel rolls.
- Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen
Sorry, we couldn't find any products.