- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Servings: 6
Delicious mashed into creamy guacamole or cubed and scattered over tacos and nachos, avocados are also chock full of good-for-you fats. When selecting an avocado, carefully pop off the button-like brown piece on the stem end. The colour underneath should be green, revealing that the avocado is or will soon be ripe.
- 3 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 or 2 dashes of hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Scoop the flesh from the avocados into a bowl. Using a potato masher or a large fork, smash the avocados until mostly smooth. Stir in the cilantro, lime juice and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. To store, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap so that the plastic is touching the guacamole and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Makes about 2 cups (16 oz./500 g).
- Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Taco Night, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2014)