Warm Orzo Salad with Artichoke Hearts, Sheep’s Feta, Lemon and Mint
Warm Orzo Salad with
Artichoke Hearts, Sheep’s Feta, Lemon and Mint
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 6
This Mediterranean-inspired salad showcases favorite ingredients of the region, including artichoke hearts, lemon juice, mint and briny feta cheese, which melts deliciously into the warm orzo. For the best flavour, use sheep’s milk feta if you can find it. Serve the salad alongside roasted fish or meats.
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 shallots, cut into small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 artichoke hearts (from 2 cans, each 13.75 oz./390 g), drained and halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml) dry white wine
- 5 cups (40 fl. oz./1.25 l) chicken or vegetable stock
- 12 oz. (375 g) orzo
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz. (185 g) sheep’s milk feta cheese, cut into small cubes
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- In a large fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the artichoke hearts and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, stirring to scrape up the browned bits, and cook until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.li>
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a boil. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Stir in the artichokes and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in half of the cheese until slightly melted.li>
- Transfer the orzo salad to a serving bowl and top with the remaining cheese. Garnish with mint leaves and several grindings of pepper and serve warm. Serves 6.
- Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen
Sorry, we couldn't find any products.