- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 8
This nearly foolproof recipe makes a double batch of dough, enough for a bottom crust and either decorative cutouts to place atop your pie or a lattice top. If you’re making a lattice pie like the Salted Caramel Apple Pie, after shaping the dough into 2 disks and chilling it for at least a few hours, simply follow the instructions provided in those recipes; there is no need to prebake the shell before filling it, as described here.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 to 8 Tbs. ice water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tbs. water
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the 6 Tbs. ice water and pulse twice. The dough should hold together when squeezed with your fingers but should not be sticky. If it is crumbly, add more water, 1 tsp. at a time, pulsing twice after each addition. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide in half. Shape each into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let stand for 5 minutes. Place 1 dough disk between 2 sheets of lightly floured waxed paper and roll out into a 12-inch round about 3/16 inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish and press the dough into the dish. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Fold under the excess dough and, using your thumb, decoratively flute the edges. Roll out the remaining dough disk in the same manner. Using decorative piecrust cutters, cut out about 30 cutouts and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the piecrust and the cutouts in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven. Place a baking sheet on the rack. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush the edges of the crust with the egg mixture. Line the piecrust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Place the pie dish on the preheated baking sheet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the parchment and weights and bake until the crust is light golden, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 375°F. Brush the cutouts with the egg wash and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool. Makes enough dough for one 9-inch deep-dish piecrust plus decorative cutouts.
- Williams-Sonoma Kitchen
Sorry, we couldn't find any products.