Fresh Pesto Flatbread
Fresh Pesto Flatbread
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Servings: 2
Here we put a fresh twist on pesto, swapping out the pine nuts for almonds and adding parsley and peppery arugula along with the traditional basil; capers lend a briny note. Just whirl everything together in a food processor, then spread over pizza dough, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake. Dinner, done! Use store-bought pizza dough to streamline prep.
For the pesto:
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 2 Tbs. blanched almonds
- 1 cup (1 oz./30 g) packed arugula
- Leaves and tender stems of 1/2 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup (1/3 oz./10 g) fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. capers
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pizza:
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 12 oz. (375 g) frozen store-bought pizza dough, thawed
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz./185 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sprouts for garnish
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- To make the pesto, with a food processor running, drop the garlic clove through the feed tube and process until minced. Stop the processor and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the almonds and process until just ground. Add the arugula, parsley, basil, Parmesan, lemon juice and capers and pulse until the mixture is coarse. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat an oven to 500°F (260°C). Line a pizza pan or baking sheet with a round Silpat baking mat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out and stretch the pizza dough into a 10-inch (25-cm) round. Transfer the dough to the prepared pan. Brush the entire surface of the dough with the olive oil. Spread 2 Tbs. of the pesto evenly on the dough, leaving a 1-inch (2.5-cm) border uncovered, then sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling, about 12 minutes. Let the flatbread cool for 3 minutes, then top with a few generous dollops of the pesto. Garnish with sprouts, chives, a sprinkling of red pepper flakes and a few grindings of black pepper. Cut into slices and serve immediately. Makes one 10-inch (25-cm) flatbread.
- Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen
Sorry, we couldn't find any products.